Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Getting a Good Start

Let's say you've come up with some utility mesh and a 5 inch weaving needle. (Actually, you can use any yarn needle, but the short ones make this process long and tedious.)

When you get a piece of mesh, it's likely that the ends are not even. Find the first row that goes all the way across and trim the uneven part off on each end.



Cut along the selvedge edge on each side. Please be very aware of which row you are cutting. It is easier than you would think to slip over to a different row.

Now turn about 4 rows under and run a basting thread or yarn through both layers. I used a contrasting color so that when I work around that area, I don't accidentally stick my needle through that basting stitch. If that happens, you have to cut the thread/yarn out of the work.

 
Depending on your pattern, you might also want to mark off your mesh to help you get the pattern even. I'm planning a ripple pattern, so I marked off every so many rows to get the points to match up.
 
Hint: You'll still have to hold a ruler to the tips of the ripple to make sure they all end on the same row across. One of my points missed it by one. In the grand scheme of things, that is probably not critical, but your pattern may need to be exact. It's better to make adjustments at the beginning than to be frustrated later on in the project.
 
 
 
Here's my first row.  Do you see how the points don't match?  This is where you make the adjustments that will make the pattern easy to do and the finished product a joy.
 
 
 
Thanks for visiting with me,
 
Kathi Linz


 

No comments:

Post a Comment