Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Erasing a Mistake

I tried to weave a six-pointed star. Emphasis on "tried".

First, I laid out two perpendicular lines so I could keep track of the pattern I saw in my mind.

I started with purple to make the first point of the star. It was to be a quilt-like pattern with six diamonds meeting in the middle and forming the points on the outer edges.

I finished the purple section and went on to the peach colored section. Between the two diamonds, I had already covered half of the area.

It simply didn't come out the way I'd planned.

So how do you undo, redo, fix something that goes wrong?

If you've done something in a long straight line that doesn't turn out the way you'd like it to, just grab the end and pull. You can use the yarn again.



If you've woven back and forth with one length of yarn - and if you are very patient - you can unweave it by pulling up a loop near the end of your work and working it loose.

I chose not to do it that way. I pulled up a loop at the turn of my weaving and cut the yarn in several places. If you do this, be careful that your scissors don't catch in the mesh.



Then you pull the cut ends to take out the yarn.

 
 
The mesh is not harmed and you can start over or make the corrections as necessary.
 
By the way, I am not going to give up on this pattern.  I've just decided not to start here. I think a little more practice and a couple more test runs will get the job done.
 
Thanks for visiting with me,
 
Kathi Linz
 

No comments:

Post a Comment