Thursday, August 22, 2013

Doing the Math

If you are going to space out your stripes or whatever pattern in an even way on your mesh, you are  going to have to do at least a little counting.

I started on one edge with an idea in my mind for the rest of the panel.



Here's one way to do it. Once I determined the width of my accent stripe, I counted the rest of the panel by fifties - one side, then the other side - until I got to the center. I marked the center row since I want a stripe running up the middle. The middle row is marked in red.


Now, even though I am not likely to work the pattern in fifties, this will make the counting easier since I know how many rows are in each section. 

When you set up your design, you might want to mark it off in smaller numbers or in larger numbers depending on the image you have in your mind about how it should turn out.

If you have already worked a few rows to see how the design looks, please remember to figure that number of rows on the other side before you start to mark off the fifties.  My edge pattern was: 5 rows lilac, 2 rows dark purple, 9 rows variegated, 2 rows dark purple, making 18 rows in all. When I started on the unworked edge, I had to mark off the first 18 rows before I counted the fifties.

Also, count 50 on the left, then 50 on the right, back and forth, until you get to a small section in the middle, which you will count across and then divide in half to get the exact middle row.

I hope that made sense.

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi Linz

 

No comments:

Post a Comment