Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Getting a Good Start - Part 2

Once you make sure your starting row is going in the exact direction you want it to go, there are still a couple more things you should watch for before merrily heading toward the finish line.

I wove 6 rows across in the ripple pattern I wanted to make. This is a side-to-side pattern, giving me the option of making fringe on all four sides or weaving in the ends on two edges.

At first, I was planning to make fringe only on the top and bottom of the blanket and weave in each strand on the sides. As I worked the first six rows, I left short ends to make the finishing of the edge easier.

Then after I saw how the blanket was beginning to take shape, I decided to leave fringe on each side. That meant I had to reweave those six rows to leave a longer tail on each side.

 
On my first weave, I skipped every other hole. When the six rows were done, I analyzed the look of the project. Fringe was only one consideration. I want this to look good all the way through as I intend it to be a baby gift. Skipping holes left too much of the mesh showing. So I rewove those rows, going through every hole.
 
That looked a lot better, but I was using baby yarn and the final effect looked too thin.
I did an experimental row using a double strand of baby yarn. (Worsted weight yarn is the best weight for this medium.)

 
After just one row, you can see that it looks fuller and more substantial. The color shows up better as well.
 
All in all, I believe I rewove those six rows five or six times until I was completely satisfied with the way it was looking.
 
 
Once I liked it, I started to fill it in.
 
 
 


At this point, the project becomes easy - almost mindless - depending on the complexity of your pattern.  The decisions have been made. The corrections improve the appearance. And on you go to a sweet finish.

Thanks for visiting with me,

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment