Thursday, August 15, 2013

Fringe Options

Most of the time, you won't have to think about the fringe until your project is finished.
When I worked on this ripple pattern, I had some strands of yarn that are very short and only woven through a few holes in the mesh. I didn't want them to come loose while I finished the rest of the piece, so I thought about how I wanted the fringe to look right away.

Here's what the unfinished edge looks like.


I tried the traditional type of fringe which is to take a given number of strands and tie a knot near the edge of the fabric.


This blanket is for a baby. If I put a bunch of knots on the edge, both the mother and the baby are going to have those clumps pressed between them, leaving dents in their skin.  Not what I have in mind for a nice present.

I pondered the possibilities. If I just trimmed all the strands to an even length, it would look nice and LIKELY would stay together. But as I said, some of the strands at the lower edge are only attached to a few spaces in the mesh. One good tug and those would come out.  Also not what I have in mind for a nice present.

So I wondered what would happen if I made a small locking knot on each strand.

 
 
I threaded a short yarn needle and poked it back through the same space that it was last woven through. I didn't pull it tight. That forms a loop.
 

Then I pulled the needle through the loop and snugged it down to the mesh edge.


My concern was whether or not the knots would be large enough to cause rippling along the edge. After I completed knotting all of the strands, I was pretty happy with the way it came out. The edge looks smooth and doesn't have any uncomfortable clumps.

Thanks for visiting with me,

Kathi

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment