Sunday, June 17, 2018

Cutting the Yarn

I got a piece of mesh the right size for the project I have in mind. I laid it out and LOOSELY laid a length of yarn along its length, leaving several inches at each end for the length that will be taken up in the weaving and for fringing.





Next, I looked for something to wrap the yarn around that would be about the length I'd just measured against the fabric.


Too short


Too long

Even though three card table legs were more length than I needed, it was to closest thing I could find to wrap the yarn. 

Yes, you can cut a few lengths at a time to the exact length you want. That's not to my taste. I would prefer to trim some extra yarn at the end of the project and have a bunch of strands handy to weave. I always cut a large number at first and then count the number I will need when I get closer to the end of the project.

Here's how I do it.

Tie a slip knot at the beginning of the yarn. Slip it over the first table leg. Wind the yarn around the number of legs that will give you the proper length.



Cut the yarn at the same end as the slip knot.

For me, the easiest way is to hang the cut yarn over a hanger. That will keep the strands loose and even.


Next, I'm going to try to weave a soft wave rather than a chevron pattern. Wish me luck.

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi



No comments:

Post a Comment