Saturday, August 4, 2018

Weaving Plaid According to the Instructions

I go to online sales places every so often and look for Bucilla kits that I don't already have so I can check out the patterns.  The yarn goes into my stash and I make any pattern I darn well want with the mesh.

The post that is the most viewed is the one where I completely botched the plaid pattern. Well, I finally found out how the manufacturer planned for it to be woven correctly.

First you weave the length of the mesh as usual. You'll include all the stripes in the colors you imagine - all as usual.


Here is part of the photo from the kit I bought. Honestly, you can get as fancy as you wish. It won't be any harder or easier one way or the other.

Once you have completed the length of the fabric, measure across the afghan. You are going to cut yarn to only 3-4 inches longer than the width. Only cut yarn in the colors you want the stripes to be. You don't have to cut anything in the main background color.

You will weave across the fabric under and over the lengthwise yarn. Do not weave into the mesh at all.


To finish the edges, the instructions say that you will weave in the ends on the back side in such a way that they don't show through to the front.

Wash this afghan carefully and don't put it in the dryer. Lay it flat to dry.

I hope this helps. I plan to work on a shawl with this kind of pattern soon. I'll post pictures when I do.

Thanks for visiting with me,

Kathi


5 comments:

  1. Your projects are awesome! This is the only blog I found on this subject. I recently 'discovered' this type of weaving when I found a kit at a thrift store for a pillow. I've started it only to discover I have no idea from the instructions (or lack of instruction) how to put the two separate woven pieces together. Any help would be great. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. If both sides are woven mesh, you can simply sew the sides together with the same color yarn. If you have one woven piece and one cloth piece, you can turn them wrong side out and hand sew or machine sew three sides together. Turn it right side out and stuff it. Then hand sew the last side. If I'm not visualizing the question you asked, please let me know and I'll try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both woven, and i thought what you mentioned about weaving them together was indeed how it could be done. I'll have to pull a couple rows out to do this since i started weaving with a folded edge to create a hem. I wasn't sure if machine stitching through the weave would actually hold it together. I really like this art form and maybe will tackle an afghan like the one's you've posted. Thanks for responding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You shouldn't have to pull out any rows. You can over sew the last row to bind them together.

      Delete